Monday, August 25, 2014
i like the sound of that
"The man next to me, Tony, who said he lives in a tent by the railroad tracks put hot sauce in his coffee and handed me a lottery scratcher. I won three bucks, he won nothing. He stared down into his coffee cup that had “what the fuck happened last night” printed on the side and said, “Ive never been much of a winner.” and it was obvious that he was talking about more than the lottery. “hey, at least you’re still playing.” I said. “Yep, I AM still playing and as long as I got a tent, a good sleeping bag, a little food, a little talk and these goddamn beautiful ass mountains, I’ll keep on playing.” He looked a little sad when he stopped talking and I thought about giving him the winning scratcher but he seemed like the kind of man that would be insulted by that so I looked down into my coffee cup instead trying to think of something good to say to him when I remembered something I’d read, “All great things are simple, any idiot can make things complicated, but it takes a real genius to make things simple.” He smiled and said “If there’s one thing my life is, it’s simple and if what you just said is true, I must be the smartest mother fucker in this room.” I held up my cup and said, “I’ll drink to that.” He clanged his cup against mine and said, “To the genius in the room!” “To the genius in the room!” I said a little louder as he began to gather up his things. When he was ready to go, he shook my hand and I thanked him for the scratcher. He held the handshake and thanked me in return. I asked him what for, and he said, “Well, when I walked in here I was just a guy living in a tent by the railroad tracks, now I’m a god damn genius and I like the sound of that.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment